Sarcococca hookeriana var. digyna
- Position: partial to deep shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well- drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing to average
- Flowering period: December to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Clusters of small, creamy-white, tassel-like flowers and slender, mid- to dark green leaves. This compact, thicket-forming shrub is perfect for planting below a window, close to an entrance or path. Excellent evergreen groundcover for a moist, shady spot, the unassuming flowers are deceptive - their vanilla-like scent is one of the headiest winter fragrances.
- Garden care: In late-winter or early-spring lightly trim or prune back shoots that spoil the plant's symmetry. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the plant.