Lonicera japonica 'Halliana'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of highly scented, pure white, tubular flowers, ageing to yellow, smother this handsome honeysuckle from April to August, giving it a two-tone appearance. Many of the handsome, tapered, glossy, dark green leaves are retained all year, so this vigorous variety is ideal for covering a pergola, arch or boundary wall, or scrambling through robust shrubs and trees. It is happy in sun or partial shade.
- Garden care: In early spring young plants can be cut back by up to two thirds if you want to encourage strong new growth from the base. Also, once they have reached their desired height, or to prevent them from getting too congested, you can cut the stems back (again in early spring) to healthy buds. Well established plants can be completely renovated by cutting back all the stems to around 60cm from the base in late winter or early spring. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in early spring.