- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: bright purple or magenta
- Other features: self-seeds freely; toothed, dark green leaves; highly attractive to butterflies and bees
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
A neat, low-growing verbena producing lax clusters of fragrant, bright purple or magenta flowers from June to September. This jewel-like perennial is perfect for a sheltered, sunny, well-drained spot. Associating well with grey and silver-leaved plants, it's wonderful used in generous drifts for infilling a traditional knot garden.
- Garden care: In areas prone to frost apply a deep, dry winter mulch around the crown of the plant.