Salvia Love and Wishes ('Serendip6') (PBR)
- Position: full sun to lightly dappled shade
- Soil: humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
The third in the 'Wish' series of salvias, this new addition has jaw-dropping magenta flowers, each held by a dark burgundy calyx. Also, if the plant is deadheaded regularly, the flowers will appear over an incredibly long period - often providing colour from June to November. It has a neat an tidy habit too, which makes it great for both borders and pots, and once well established, it will become tolerant of drought.
- Garden care: To prolong flowering remove the flower spikes as soon they start to fade. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.