Pulsatilla Pinwheel collection
pasque flower collection
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil (or equal parts of a loam-based potting compost such as John Innes No1 and grit for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Delightful, early flowering perennials that herald the onset of spring with the emergence of their showy flowers and soft silky foliage. Sun-loving and drought tolerant once established, they are perfect for alpine beds and rock gardens where the soil is freely draining, and add colour to containers if potted up with equal parts grit and loam-based compost. Resentful of root disturbance, they are best planted as young plants and allowed to grow on where they are generally free from pests and diseases - apart from the odd slug or snail, which may be tempted by the emerging buds. Avoid overwatering, particularly in winter.
Each collection contains 3 plug plants, one each of the following.
- Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Pinwheel Blue Violet Shades' (Pinwheel Series) Upward-facing flowers with pointed petal tips, rise above the mounds of finely dissected foliage, which is covered in soft hairs. A tactile, low-growing plant that would make an interesting addition to a sensory garden. Grows to 30cm.
- Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Pinwheel Dark Red Shades' (Pinwheel Series) Sumptuous red petals, each with a velvet-like texture, collar the central boss of gold stamens, creating a striking colour contrast. They are stunning when planted en-masse or used to line the edges of a path. Grows to 30cm.
- Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Pinwheel White' (Pinwheel Series) Emerging at the same time as the foliage, the pure white flowers open over several weeks from fuzzy buds, and as they fade, spidery seedheads appear on stems which become elongated over time. Grows to 30cm.
Supplied as plug plants
- Garden care: Plant very firmly in well-drained soil and take care when carrying out routine border maintenance since Pasque flowers resent having their roots disturbed.
Buy the collection of 3 pulsatilla plug plants (1 of each variety) for £9.99 or buy 2 collections for £19.98 and get another collection FREE