Lilium longiflorum 'White Heaven' (PBR)
Easter lily bulb
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to July
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: will tolerate chalky soil
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb Size: 14-16cm
Big, deliciously scented, white flowers form in open clusters at the top of the upright stems in midsummer. These wonderfully showy flowers look brilliant in the border, but also work well in large, deep pots and containers. Make sure they are planted near a path, seating area or entranceway, so you can enjoy their heady perfume each time you pass. The flowers will also last well after being cut, so make sure you plant some extras for the vase.
The RSPCA have recently reported that all parts of lilies can be fatal to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. For more information visit Rspca.org
- Garden care: Lilies can be planted at any time from early autumn, to mid-spring. Planting in autumn often helps them settle in and become better established before they start to put on their new spring growth, but spring planting is a better option if your soil is heavy and wet during winter. Choose a sunny spot, preferably where the plant receives a little light shade at its base, and plant each bulb 15-20cm deep in a well-drained soil, enriched with well-rotted organic matter or leaf mould. Space them between 15 - 30cm intervals and provide support before the flowers appear. Deadhead the faded blooms promptly and cut the dead stems back to ground level at the end of autumn.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs