Gladiolus 'Purple Mate'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
Intense purple flowers appear on the upright flower spikes from late summer. These can be used to add structural interest and colour to the border, or cut to create spectacular arrangements in a vase.
- Garden care: Plant corms 10-15cm (4-6in) deep and 25cm apart on a bed of sharp sand to aid drainage. In frost-prone areas, lift them when the leaves turn yellow-brown, dip the corms in fungicide and store in a dry, frost-free place over winter
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs