Gladiolus × colvillii 'The Bride'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to July
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need some winter protection)
Pure white star-like flowers open from the base of the upright spike from late spring to early summer, creating an elegant effect above the strap-shaped foliage. Their vertical silhouette will add structure to the herbaceous border, but they are equally happy in a good-sized pot on a sunny patio. The flowers make excellent additions to a vase too.
- Garden care: Plant corms 10cm deep and 10 - 15cm apart, on a bed of sharp sand to aid drainage. In frost-prone areas, lift them when the leaves turn yellow-brown, dip the corms in fungicide and store in a dry, frost-free place over winter.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs