alpine strawberry - woodland
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any soil, but prefers an alkaline pH
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: makes a useful groundcover
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Attractive foliage consisting of three palmate leaflets, each with a notched edge, forms in clusters along the creeping stolons. They are tolerant of partial shade, but if planted in a sunny spot they will produce edible fruits which are not as large or sweet as their cultivated cousins the strawberries, but they are decorative non-the-less. Use them at the front of the border, lining the edge of a path, or for spilling over the edges of a pot.
- Garden care:Cut off runners from the parent plant and transplant the new plantlets to increase stock.