Forsythia × intermedia 'Lynwood Variety'
- Position: full sun or light shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
With its branches smothered in vivid yellow flowers, this deciduous shrub is a really cheery sight on a shivery day in early spring. The flowers appear before the bright green leaves, covering the plant in a fine cloth of gold. Try it as part of a winter scheme, at the back of a border, where it can be seen from the house, or as an informal hedge.
- Garden care: Prune out one or two old main stems at the base after flowering. Thin out crowded shoots from the centre and to keep a compact appearance, cut back flowered shoots to a strong bud.