Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor to moderately-fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: February to July
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
This long-flowering, bushy, vigorous wallflower produces long spires of deep mauve flowers from late winter to summer above narrow, grey-green leaves. It is a short-lived plant, but makes a vivid display for months in a sunny border. Try it as part of a colour-themed scheme, or contrast it with vivid yellows. It also looks good in a rock garden or raised bed.
- Garden care: Provide cloche protection where frosts are very severe or prolonged.