winter aconite - in the green
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: January and February
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 4/5
Carpets of bright yellow, buttercup-like flowers in late January and February surrounded by ruffs of fresh green leaves. Winter aconites originate from damp woodland and shady places in Eurasia so are perfect for naturalising under deciduous shrubs and trees. They are a welcome sight in late winter as they are one of the first things into flower in the garden.
- Garden care: Plant pots in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) on arrival.