Crocosmia × crocosmiiflora 'Emily Mckenzie'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: August and October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
Wiry, arching stems carry large, pendulous or horizontal, bright orange flowers that have reddish-purple blotches at their base in late summer. Beautiful in bold drifts and excellent cut flowers.
- Garden care: Plant the corms (bulbs) in spring approximately 8-10cm deep and 10-15cm apart. Resist removing the faded foliage in autumn and cover the crown of the plant with bracken or bark chips to protect the plant against frost damage. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring, planting the divided sections 8-10cm (3-4in) deep.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs