Clematis 'Early Sensation'
clematis (Group 1)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
Small, white, bowl-shaped, early spring flowers with contrasting greenish-cream centres and parsley-green leaves. This unusual, evergreen clematis makes a lovely conservatory plant. In mild areas it may also be grown against a sunny, south-facing, sheltered wall. Protect the tender, new shoots from marauding snails and late-frosts.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring