Canna 'Chocolate Sunrise'
Indian shot bulbs
- Position: full sun (or indoors in full light shaded from hot sun)
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil or loam-less potting compost
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
A treat for jungle-themed borders, and useful for adding height to summer bedding schemes, this gorgeous canna has a rich blend of colours that will create a tropical feel.
- Garden care: Pot the rhizomes up into 20cm pots filled with a good quality compost. The rhizomes should be planted shallowly, just covering them with compost, but making sure that any new shoots are above soil level. Water lightly and then grow them on at temperatures above 15°C, increasing the water as they start to grow. Gradually harden off before planting out after all risk of frost has passed. Water regularly during the growing season, applying a phosphorus-rich liquid fertiliser each month. In frost-prone areas lift the rhizomes in autumn and store in a frost-free environment in barely-moist compost or leaf mould.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs