Acer palmatum 'Starfish' (PBR)
- Position: lightly, dappled shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A lovely new acer with intense red/purple finely lobed leaves, which unusually slightly curls at the edges as they hang down, reminiscent to the shape of a starfish.An upright compact form, that is perfect for any sized garden inlcuding smaller ones, as a focal point, in a border or in a pot. Make sure it is planted somewhere sheltered where the leaves are protected from strong winds and fierce midday sun, although some sun will help develop the vibrant crimson autumn leaf colour that we all love and admire.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of a newly planted tree in late spring and keep well watered. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.